A Maker Faire is like a circus mixed in with a county fair. They’re designed to “celebrate arts, crafts, engineering, science projects and the Do-It-Yourself (DIY) mindset.” The concept is spreading, in fact, we recently had a small one in our home town library. Let’s learn more.
1. When is the next big Maker Faire? At http://bitly.com/1IpApHu you’ll learn that one of the biggest will be near the headquarters of Make Magazine in San Mateo, CA on May 16-17. Tickets are $50.
2. Who is a maker? At Tweaktown http://bitly.com/1bWO3pl you learn that anyone can be a maker. You’ll also learn about Arduino boards, which are the brains behind many Maker projects.
3. What do Maker Faires and pancakes have in common? At 3Dprint.com you can learn about a special printer that can print in pancake batter, on a frying pan.
4. Question: What do you get when you cross a maker with the White House? Answer: At http://wapo.st/1bguMxT you can see how the White House Christmas Tree and Presidential dogs were affected by the Maker Movement.
5. Is there a maker faire near me? There were 131 maker faires last year. Here’s where they are: http://makerfaire.com/map. Nothing listed near you? There’s one simple solution: Make your own! Here’s how: http://makerfaire.com/global/ Here are some failproof maker ideas for kids this summer.
1. Here are some projects for kids from http://makezine.com/kids
2. On CTR’s web site, we’ve made a page for Maker ideas. You can do the eggdrop, take apart an engine, make a lightbulb, or fly an old airplane, to name a few. Visit http://bitly.com/1EEBhqg
———————————————————————————————————————————————— LittleClickers.com (this page and the associated web site) is sponsored by Computer Explorers. Neither Children’s Technology Review (publisher of LittleClickers) or Computer Explorers has any vested interest in any of the sites listed on this page. Librarians and teachers are permitted to copy this page for non-profit use. To report a bad link, use this form, or contact us. Copyright 2017, Children's Technology Review.